Monday, June 10, 2013

Stress in Hiding

Have you ever done something in your life that was stressing you out and you didn't even realize it?  Have you taken on a project that seems to be a perfect fit, but find yourself feeling overwhelmed anyway?



This is what happened to me.

I would have to say that having my fourth baby has really been my breaking point.  I feel tired and overwhelmed with kids needing my attention.  I love each one of my precious little babes, and I felt myself being short tempered and feeling less than enthusiastic in playtime with them.

I decided to take a deep hard look at what could be a cause of this.

I will say this, I feel it is very important for each and every person to find a hobby, interesest, a talent...something that is just yours and work on it.  It could be running, art, music, reading, writing, photography, sewing, etc.  

As I looked at what I was doing with my time, I found more time than I thought was being taken up by my photography.  I was taking time away from my children with the planning, shooting and editing time of taking pictures.  I was blessed to have many clients and many opportunities to work with some amazing and fun people...but I was missing my children.

 I found myself stressing over the weather for the session, the time of the shoot, getting the session done in time for Hannah's recital or Lia's activity...I found myself not being around for many bedtime stories and prayers.  I found myself running out the door at dinner time or Saturday morning snuggle time.  And then my husband asked me one day, "Are you happy doing this?"

I thought about that.  And I came to the conclusion that while I do love photography, I found that I don't love the time it takes away from my children or my husband.  

I am grateful for the time I spent taking pictures of babies, families, brides and grooms, children and even pets; it pushed me to be a better photographer.

I will never give up photography.  But I will be learning and doing things on my own time.  

Lots of love,
Niki

2 comments:

  1. totally makes sense :) you have to fill your time with the best of the best things & there will be a time and a season for photography in your future for sure. For now, just cuddle and play with your little ones while they still let you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexi :) I appreciate the support :)

      Delete