Tuesday, May 7, 2013

An Unmade Bed

There is something about getting my bed made every day that makes me feel like I actually accomplished something.  I know it sounds crazy, but that is how I feel.

So today when I went into my room it was 3:40 and I noticed I hadn't made my bed.

I thought to myself, have I done anything today?



So I really thought about it... (and this is in no way to brag, I have a point, so bear with me)

First, I woke up at 3:00 am to feed my little guy.  He has made that a regular for the last week or so.  So once I got him fed and burped, it was about 3:30.  Then, I went back to bed.

 I woke up to my 2 year old crying for us at 6:30 am and we were up for the day.

I did Hannah's hair, got Eva and Lia breakfast and sent Hannah and Flavio off.

I then fed Jared again.

And I ate.

After that, I gave both Eva and Lia a bath, letting them play awhile.  Once we were done, I got Lia ready for school.  I decided to french braid her hair, which is not an easy task, but she loves it, so we did it and then finished with Eva's hair.

Then I loaded everyone in the van and we were off to Lia's school, after I took a few minutes to freshen up.

Straight from Lia's school I took Jared and Eva to the grocery store.  Eva didn't make it easy.  She loves to get in and out of the cart and gets angry when I don't do as she desires....

We then came home and I put all the groceries away.

Then I loaded everyone back in the car and we went to get Lia from school.

Once we got home, I made lunch for Eva and Lia and fed Jared again.  I got them all down for a nap and made my own lunch.  With a few minutes for myself, I decided to call my mom as I needed a little adult time.  That usually takes up about an hour ;)

After I talked to my mom I picked up a around the house did a little laundry and made an important phone call.

Then I woke both Lia and Eva up so we could go pick up Hannah from her school in American Fork.

Once we got back, I spent time with Hannah and her homework, did a few more chores and that is when I found my bed...unmade with the pillows on the floor.

But, once I went through all that I had done in my head, I realized the bed being unmade wasn't really that big of deal after all.  Of course I made it, it makes me feel better when I do.

I then loaded everyone back in the car and off to Hannah's dance class we went.

I guess I really did do something today.

My point here is, I'm too hard on myself as a mother and housewife sometimes.  It's hard to see what we have done somedays, as there is little concrete evidence of how we may have spent our time...but we do so much every day: spending time with our kids, doing things for them, ie changing diapers, doing hair, giving baths, getting them dressed, getting them snacks, breaking up fights and tantrums, making sure they are fed, clothed and educated.  Not to mention any play time we spend with them.  We do house work, cleaning bathrooms, cooking, doing dishes, getting kids to the doctor, school and other activities.  We help neighbors and family, we have play dates and chats with friends.

In the end, you have done more than you know.

I hope that I can learn from this and I hope you can too.  Just because your bed isn't made doesn't mean you haven't done anything productive that day...it just means you didn't get to making the bed.

Lots of love,
Niki

No comments:

Post a Comment