Friday, January 18, 2013

Choices

Choices are usually a great thing.  They give a sense of freedom and individuality.  Choices allow us to be in charge of our own fate and life.  I know my kids love it when I give them choices.  Such as, what shirt do you want to wear, or would you rather have five minutes to play or ten?  Giving children these options to choose, allows them to feel useful and fulfilled.

One of the best parts of being an adult is being able to make most of your own choices.  We get to chose what we want to eat, when we go to bed, we get to choose what to wear and what we do in our free time.

On the other hand, one of the worst parts of being an adult is having to make our own choices.  I realize I just contradicted my previous thought here...but there is usually good and bad to everything.



Choosing one's college, career, spouse, home, when and how many children to have, can be overwhelming and confusing at times.  Their are choices you wish someone could choose for you.  Choices that leave you dazed and confused.

Flavio and I are facing that kind of choice at this time.  It is in regards to adoption.  The circumstances are not ideal.  Being a mom of three healthy children, the idea of bringing one home that may or may not have health issues is, I will admit, terrifying.

This is where adoption is very difficult.  Knowing that I would have taken extremely good care of my body and baby, where this child would have had every chance to be okay (of course that doesn't promise a perfectly healthy baby) but I would know that I did all that I could to start him/her off well.

And now we are facing a situation where this isn't the case.  While our heart aches and longs for any child placed in our way, we are also experienced parents and understand the difficulties surrounding such a child.

We will be praying at this time and ask for your prayers as well.

Also, if we do accept this opportunity, that does not mean it will happen.  Giving yourself up to a birth-mom and her baby for adoption, does not mean you will be receiving the baby in the end.  The process of hope and loss, joy and heartache are a major part of the process.

We hope to be strong.  We hope to be able to do the right thing.

Lots of love,
Flavio and Niki

1 comment:

  1. Yeah...that pretty much wins for toughest choice ever. It takes a strong couple to take on something like that, and I know you guys can do it! Hurry up February!

    ReplyDelete