Sunday, January 20, 2013

A call I will never forget...

Last night Flavio and I had the opportunity to talk with the birth-mom of our future son.  Getting ready for a call of that magnitude was a little overwhelming.  While we had been able to talk with other birth-moms with previous potential placements, it had never been set up.  One birth-mom called us on her own, one night at 11:00 pm.  She was sure we were to be the parents of her sweet little girl and we talked with her almost every day, until the birth-father made her change her mind. :(

Yesterday, our case worker told us that we would be talking with this amazing woman that night.  So we had a day to plan, a day to think about what we should and shouldn't say.  A day to worry that saying something wrong could destroy the whole thing.

Let's just say I was a little overwhelmed.  So much so, that today, I had a stomach ache from the stress....



But let me tell you how it went... 

...It went absolutely amazing.  

She was so open and loving.  She called us his mom and dad from the get go.  She asked us what we plan to name him, and from that moment on, she called him by that name.  We fell in love with her immediately.  Her mom was there by her side, supporting her and loving her as any mother should. We are grateful to her family for helping her make the decision that will be best for the baby and for their daughter.  I can't imagine letting someone else take my baby or my grand-baby away from me.

I can't wait to give our son's birth-mom a big hug.  There is no way one can thank someone for this kind of gift.  I just hope that one day she will understand our gratitude for her selfless act.

I pray that she will continue to want us to be her baby's mom and dad.  We will do everything we can to make sure her decision was the right one.

Lots of love,
Niki


2 comments:

  1. That is so great Niki! I would definitely rather have the call be a surprise - that's a lot of pressure!! Glad it went so well.

    ReplyDelete