Tuesday, November 13, 2012

We are a judgmental people...

While judgement is something we as humans seem to do so often, we really are not that good at it.

I just read The Alchemist by  Paulo Coelhoand this is on of the ideas I liked best from this book:

“If someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.” 


In my life I have been given many chances to judge others.  Sometimes I get it right, but most of the time I get it wrong.  I have found it much easier when I try to love my brothers and sisters for who they are, and not for what I think they should be, or should have done, or didn't do and so on and so forth. 

Who am I to judge someone when I myself am far from perfect?  And yet, I do it everyday.  I wake myself up and I put on my judging glasses and look to see what I can find.  And do you know what I usually find?  In all of my judging glory, and in all of my self-righteousness, I find that I didn't see a thing at all.

I hope that I can improve my way of seeing others.  I pray that as a nation and hopefully as the human race we will follow this wonderful council by a man who is dear to my heart:

“Be the one who nurtures and builds. Be the one who has an understanding and a forgiving heart one who looks for the best in people. Leave people better than you found them.” 



I always love to hear your thoughts.

Lots of love,
Niki





3 comments:

  1. The perfect philosophy. Be the one who nurtures and builds.

    That's all. Don't let others harm you, but beyond that, build others up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, that line from the book totally stood out to me too. This is a topic I have been thinking about a lot lately. One observation I've made is that while people are very quick to notice (and be up in arms about) when others are judging, they don't seem to notice when they do it themselves. I think we can always justify our judging, so it doesn't register as a bad thing. So my goal lately has been to not spend one second noticing others judging, but to pay a lot of attention when I find myself judging. I try to remind myself that, for the most part, everyone is trying their very best. Everyone has a different set of life circumstances that have shaped them and influence the decisions they make. I know there are decisions I make that others don't understand, and I would love it if they gave me the benefit of the doubt, so I try to do the same. Another thing that I try to do that has been very helpful is when I do notice something that someone does that I don't think is right, instead of just thinking, "Wow, so-and-so did a dumb thing," I try to really, honestly ask myself if I ever do that thing, or something like it. And the more honest I am with myself, the more likely I am to notice that I am guilty of the same thing, in some form or another. Anyway, as I've been extra aware of this topic lately, I've noticed a huge difference in how I think about myself and others, and I'm loving the change. I think that Marvin J. Ashton quote sums things up quite nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your thoughts here...it is too true, we judge others judging and forget to see it within ourselves.

      Delete