Monday, October 29, 2012

To vote or not to vote...

...should not be a question.

This post will be only on why I think everyone should vote, and how they should go about voting.  I am not going to imply who I will be voting for or I will not be preaching about any specific political party.  I admit that I am a passionate voter.  I am not exactly sure why.  I guess it all stems from specifically two of my major's courses in college, both were in political science, the study of politics. 

My mom and dad always voted, but they never told who they were voting for.  They never brainwashed me into thinking one way or the other, and yes, I said brainwash.

I am so grateful for the gift I had of not feeling like I had to see politics through their eyes.  Just like religion, you hope your kids will follow what you believe, but it will never work if you push it on them.  I was appalled the other day when my daughter came home from school and said that one of the kids in her class was calling one of the candidates for President evil and a liar.  Now, knowing that this child is either 6 or 7, I knew that he truly did not know this, but he had heard it from someone at home.  I sat my daughter down and told her that both of these men had a desire to make our country a better place and that she could vote for whoever she thought was best. I find it idiotic for people (me included) to get all riled up thinking that the guy they are not voting for is evil or a liar or other ridiculous adjectives that simply are not true.

Yes, we may not like the policies of one or the other, but does that make them evil?  Absolutely not.  It is men like Bashar al-Assad, who are evil.  He is the President of Syria and he is literally killing his people as we speak, just because they want the same freedoms we take for granted every day.

Here is my take with my children:

My children, because of their gender, would not have been able to vote only 92 years ago.
These amazing women went to jail and in some cases were hurt all because they wanted the right to vote.

Also, my children, because of their race, would not have been allowed to vote only 47 years ago.

A voting rights march in the Alabama town of Selma in 1965 was broken up by baton-wielding police. (Associated Press)
As you can see in the picture above, blacks were beaten and killed all because they wanted to vote.


I hope that as citizens of this amazing and blessed country, that we take our right to vote seriously, and really look at the topics and people at hand.  Forget the parties.  Forget the media's take.  Go do some research and see where your true vote is.  Taking your vote seriously can give you a sense of fulfillment to know that we are not mocking those who were harmed or even died for our right to vote.  I hope that we can all take great care in how we vote this year.  Let's teach our children that understanding what we are voting for is just as important as who we are voting for.

God bless America.

Lots of love,
Niki

If you live in Utah here is the link for all that you need to know when going to the polls:
http://vote.utah.gov/






3 comments:

  1. So very true. It's so easy for us to complain and forget SO many of the blessings we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man Niki, yet another of your posts that should be required reading. :) Very well said. I absolutely LOVE that your parents didn't tell you who they were voting for growing up! What an amazing way to teach kids HOW to think, instead of WHAT to think. I have always wished that there was no such thing as campaigning. Instead, every single issue would be written up in an unbiased way, and then the people would vote on issues, individually, without knowing which candidate they were attached to. In the end, whichever candidate's stance matched yours more closely gets your vote. Pipe dream, I know, but wouldn't it be nice if people's preconceived notions (aka "brainwashing") didn't get in the way of their true feelings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I may copy what you just said as an after-post. That is an amazing idea! I am sure ALL of us would be surprised in the end who we would vote for :) Thank you, so much for your awesome comments :)

      Delete