Friday, October 5, 2012

The Q-tip company may hate me...but I don't care.

Okay, I know that is a strange topic, but it is something that I have been thinking about lately.  When I had my first baby, I asked my doctor a ton of "new mommy" questions, how do I do this? and how do I do that?  what is the best for this and that?  He was patient and answered as many questions as he could.  Then I got to the question about ear infections.  I had seen many babies suffer from this type of pain and I wanted to do all that I could to prevent it, if there was a way.

So I looked my doctor in the eye and asked, "How do I make sure my baby does not get an ear infection?"  He looked me back in the eye and said, "Ear wax".  This took me by surprise.  "You mean get rid of it?" I asked.  They wouldn't make Q-tips if this wasn't the case, right?  But his answer surprised me again.  "No, don't get rid of the ear wax in their ear.  It is there for a reason.  It protects the ear from water from a bath or mucus from a cold.  If the ear wax is there, they most likely won't get an infection."

I was stunned.  

I wanted to make sure that perfect ear was pain-free...



So I said, "Okay."

And I will tell you, I haven't used a single Q-tip on one of my kids.  We clean the outside of their ears with water and a washcloth and so far no one has complained of being grossed out by the monstrous ear wax growing out of their ears. If fact, I can't ever even see any.  They can hear fine and I am happy to report that NOT ONE of my kids have ever had an ear infection!  Here is an article that will explain what I just said in a more detailed and intelligent manor:
http://www.medicinenet.com/ear_wax/article.htm

So when your knew little one comes into your life, resist the urge to clean to their ears spotless.  Let that waxy stuff do it's job!


What simple secrets do you have to help your little one cope with the pains of life?


7 comments:

  1. Wow, who knew? It's frustrating to know that they have lines of Q-tips specifically for babies when it's not even good for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...that is what I thought :(

      Delete
  2. NO WAY! All have my kids have had lots of ear infections....wish I'd known this before, but at least I know this now---amazing! Loving your blog by the way, it's a-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rheanna! I hope it helps from here on out :)

      Delete
  3. I'm always scared that they will try it themselves some time and rupture an ear drum or something. So best not to have them do it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad mommy confession: I am horrible at remembering to clean my kids' ears. And they never get ear infections either! (I think my oldest did *once*, when he was also sick with something else. Woohoo! So maybe I'm not such a bad mommy after all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are truly not a bad mommy! Your kids are so lucky to have you!

      Delete