Thursday, October 18, 2012

I still feel 18

I have been gone this past week, thus you haven't heard from me in a while.  We went to St. George, Utah, where my parents live.  It is a great place for us to get away and relax while my parents get to see their only grandchildren (I am an only child).

While I was there, one of my best friends from high school contacted me and said she would be there for the weekend, as we were leaving the day after she got there, we decided breakfast would be best.  I had not met her kids yet, so we decided to bring our families along.

She has two twin boys (ages 3) and a sweet baby girl.  Add that to my three spunky girls, ages 6, 3 and almost 2 (that almost 2 makes a bug difference) age 1 and almost 2 are are like night and day in kid years.  Anyway, lets just say are table was packed, loud and people would look at us longer than you normally look at strangers.  I always wonder what people think when they see the craziness that comes with families with small children.  Some cute, older women will usually come up to me as they are leaving and say how cute my girls are, or for me to enjoy these years.  Women with teenagers tend to look both sympathetic and jealous, but they usually don't say anything, while those without children look at us like we are crazy or maybe they are thinking we are the worst parents in the entire world because we can't keep our kids under control.

This little trip was packed with excitement.  We got ourselves systematically divided between our kids.  I like to do the kid-parent-kid-parent-kid approach as that way one parent will always be available and none of the kids are able to touch one another.  My friend, brought her sweet mom along, and grandmas can be a great help as well.  Her two little boys (while looking exactly alike) have very different personalities.  It was fun to catch up and talk with her about the business of being a mother of young children.  In between fits and food complaints we were able to have a very nice visit.

It is amazing how my life has changed since high school.  And yet I feel the same as I did the day I graduated.  I know I have grown and matured (hopefully).  I know my body has changed (unfortunately).  But I don't FEEL older.  I just recognize that I am older.



It was nice to meet up with Aimee and know that even though we are trudging through the mundaness of life, we can still talk as if we were still 18.  The subjects have changed, and life is a little more serious.  But I don't feel that "my self" has changed that much since high school.  And I can't decided if that is good or bad?


What do you think?  Do you still feel 18?

3 comments:

  1. Well I'm not 18 yet, but it's weird when I realize I'm not 14 anymore. I feel like I've grown in knowlege and wisdom, but my maturity still hasn't caught up with me (to the extent of ALWAYS acting mature and rational.)
    So when I see all of my old friends who are growing up it's almost a little sad to see they've moved on and I haven't. BUt I also think they haven't forgotten what it feels like to be 14.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will always great to feel young :)

      Delete