Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Digital Junkies....

I got my two youngest down for their nap, so I decided to get the pictures off the camera from today.  We spent the morning with Lia's preschool at a pumpkin farm.  The kids had fun and as usual, I took too many pictures.

Digital cameras have made us picture junkies.  I remember the days of film, when you would take one or two pictures of the event as you only had so many pictures on your camera.  I understand that digital has a limit as well, but if your camera or memory cards are anything like mine, I can literally take over 1000 pictures at a RAW form (or the cameras biggest file) and still be okay :)

I did a wedding not too long ago, and I took over 700 pictures.  700!!!!  Of course not all of them turned out how I wanted, but I was able to give the bride a few hundred images of her wedding day.  She can literally relive that day anytime she wants.

So there are definitely pros and cons to the digital world of photography.  One pro is it is much cheaper, minus the camera, the lenses, the flashes...well, maybe not cheaper.  Okay, well another pro might be that you can take as many pictures as you want.  A con is, you can take as many pictures as you want.  The other pros might be that you are able to have your image right away, that way you can see if something is wrong.  You can see what your settings are and know what works and what doesn't.  Other than that, the only thing that has happened with digital, is everyone thinks they can be a photographer now.  The mindset is, if you have a nice camera, you will become a pro.  Of course this is not true by any standards, but it does let a much bigger portion of the population try.


You don't take a photograph, you make it.  ~Ansel Adams

Now, I do not see this digital junkie trend ending anytime soon.  And that is not necessarily a bad thing.  It is so fun to have almost every day of my children's life documented...however, I do feel that sometimes I go overboard and feel a little like this guy:


So lets all try a little moderation.  Save ourselves some time in front of the computer screen and go out to get some sun or smell the roses.  I am learning to cut back, just a little.  I am understanding how to make sure I know my camera well enough to be able to take the best picture the first time.  I am able to get to the editing board and know that just with a few minimal edits of sharpening and exposure, that I will be done quick. Everyone is therefore happy, my clients are happier because they get their pictures back quicker and my family is happier because they get more time with me :)


lots of love,
Niki

How has the digital camera changed your life?  Good or bad?






2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I am more grateful for digital cameras than about any other invention. Memories are so priceless, and the ability to capture them beautifully is such a blessing. However, I totally agree with you about the need to get away from all of our screens - I have really been noticing lately that my attention span has become awful! I'm really working on getting out and living live off-screen. Well...except for right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will agree with the fact that I LOVE the digital camera...I just need a faster way to get them off and edited just right ;)

      Delete