Monday, September 17, 2012

Where to begin...




When I was young, I knew that I wanted to be a mom.  People would ask me, what do you want to be when you grow up?  And I would say the normal, a teacher, a nurse, and at one time I wanted to be a lawyer (I am good at arguing).  ;)  But deep down, I knew I really wanted to be a mom.  I have always loved kids.  And kids have always loved me.  We are drawn to each other.  I am not sure it if comes from being an only child, as I wasn't around kids a lot, or if that is just who I am.

Fast forward 15 years and I was married and ready to start my family....

The dream of holding my baby in my arms seemed so close and so real.  My wonderful husband was excited as well and so we began the pregnancy tests.  However, two months, three months four, five, six, seven, eight and then a whole year past and nothing.  Each month felt like a punch in the stomach.  Even though I was resisting, I felt deep down that something was really wrong.  I knew some people tried this long and were still able to get pregnant...but I was sure at this point this wasn't going to be the case for us.

After a few simple tests, the doctor confirmed my fears.  Having children was not going to happen for us.  Unless, we went through a crazy, hormone riddled, very expensive treatment called In Vitro Fertilization, or IVF.



So that is what we did.  We emptied our savings and we went for the big guns.  Without getting too deep,(I will talk all about it in a later post), we went through three trials before we got our Hannah.

What a miracle she is.

Our second miracle happened two years later when we adopted Lia (our gifted child).

And yet again, and two more years later, one more miracle came to us through our first try of IVF, our little Eva.

In this blog, I plan to be open and honest about our journey through infertility.  My challenge of having and working with a gifted child and how photography helps me get through it all.




No comments:

Post a Comment